Friday, December 23, 2011
We made gingerbread figures today (boys, girls, snowmen, reindeer, elves). I think my favorite were the reindeer ones....we made one for each of the 8 reindeer and 1 for Rudolph.
Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup molasses
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
5 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1 1/2 Tablespoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Line baking sheets with parchment.
2. Stir together the water and baking soda until dissolved. Stir in the molasses; set aside.
3. Beat butter and sugar until fluffy and combined.
4. Whisk together flour, salt and spices. Add to the butter mixture, and then add to the molasses mixture. Form dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 350.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with a floured cookie cutter and place on baking sheet. Freeze for 5 minutes before baking.
7. Bake 10-12 minutes. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet, then transfer to cooling rack. Cool completely before decorating with royal icing.