Made a Apple Pie with fresh cranberries today....it was SO GOOD!!!! One of my new favorites! I still need a lot more work with my dough trim/tuck/flute skills :)
Apple Pie with Cranberries
Basic Pie Dough
all-purpose flour for dusted work surface
3 large Granny Smith apples
4 large McIntosh apples
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg white, beaten lightly
1 Tablespoon sugar
1. Put oven rack on the lowest position. Place a rimmed baking sheet on it and heat oven to 500 degrees.
2. Roll the dough on a lightly floured work surface to a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Refrigerate the dough-lined pie plate.
3. Peel, core, and quarter the apples; cut the quarters into 1/4-inch slices and toss with the cranberries, lemon juice and zest. In a medium bowl, mix the 1 cup sugar, the flour, spices and salt. Toss the dry ingredients with the apple/cranberry mixture. Turn the fruit mixtures, including the juices, into the chilled pie shell and mound it slightly in the center.
4. Roll out the second piece of dough to a 12-inch circle; place over the filling, trim, tuck and flute the edges to seal. Cut 4 slits in the dough top. Brush the egg white on the top crust and sprinkle evenly with 1 Tablespoon sugar.
5. Place the pie on the baking sheet and lower the oven temperature to 425 degrees. Bake the pie 25 minutes. Rotate the pie from front to back and reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees. Bake 30-35 minutes longer.
6. Transfer the pie to a wire rack; cool to room temperature, at least 4 hours.